Resolution on the situation in the Philippines
The 5th World Congress of Education International (EI), meeting in Berlin (Germany) 22 to 26 July 2007,
1. Deplores the murder of urban poor activist Charlie Solayao on July 17, 2007, in Tacloban City, Philippines by two masked gunmen;
2. Is appalled that more than 1000 activists fighting to uphold the rights and welfare of poor and oppressed Filipinos have been assassinated or made to disappear since President Gloria Arroyo took power in 2001;
3. Notes that the victims include nine teachers, two of whom were national officers of the Alliance of Concerned Teachers, Vitoria Samonte and Napoleon Pornasdoro;
4. Is outraged that these gross human rights violations are carried out with impunity.
5. Therefore, the 5th EI World Congress calls on the Philippine Government led by President Arroyo to
a. Immediately put a stop to extrajudicial killings and involuntary disappearances;
b. Investigate, prosecute, and punish those responsible for these acts; and
c. Ensure that its security forces respect the human rights and civil liberties of citizens.