The Second World Congress of Education International, meeting in Washington D.C., U.S.A., from 25 to 29 July 1998:
1. Recognises the valuable work undertaken by the United Nations and its agencies such as UNESCO and UNICEF in supporting children and education in war-torn areas of the world;
2. Recognises the valuable contribution made by the United Nations Associations in various countries in supporting the UN and its agencies;
3. Wishes to take every opportunity to promote justice, world peace and education, in the interests of children in all countries;
4. Accepts that the Olympic Games capture the attention and imagination of the nations and peoples of the world and provide an ideal opportunity to call for world peace;
5. To this end, Education International commits itself to promoting world peace during the period of the Olympic Games in the year 2000, recalling that peace was declared during the original Olympic Games in Ancient Greece;
6. Education International, in the period up to the Olympic Games in the year 2000, will call upon its affiliates to encourage children in all schools to secure a commitment from the UN, governments and parties to conflicts in all areas to cease hostilities during the period of the Games.