Sweden: Education union’s President to promote quality education and teachers on national tour
In September, Lärarförbundet’s President and Education International (EI) Vice-President for Europe Eva-Lis Sirén will embark on a campaigning tour, visiting six cities in five days.
During her stops, she will visit schools, meet with politicians and spread important messages of her union’s ‘Skolan först’(School First) campaign, linked to EI’s own Unite for Quality Education campaign.
“We are now in the final stages of the general elections campaign and school issues remain at the top,” Sirén said. “I look forward to meet with teachers, parents and politicians to discuss how Swedish schools can be improved and how we can stop the teaching crisis.”
Stops planned during the campaign tour are as follow:
• 1st September: Gothenburg – Meeting with students at the University of Gothenburg.
• 2 September: Stockholm – Prize ceremony for best school municipality.
• 2 September: Linköping – Recruitment of new teachers.
• 3 September: Sundsvall – Meeting with union members and politicians.
• 4 September: Stockholm – Meeting with union members.
• 5 September: Orebro – Recruitment of new teachers.
“We welcome this great awareness-raising initiative by our Swedish affiliate,” said EI General Secretary Fred van Leeuwen. “The Lärarförbundet’s campaign is clearly in line with our Unite campaign focusing on quality education and its three pillars, quality teachers and quality teaching and learning tools and environments.”
Van Leeuwen added that he hopes this tour will contribute sending politicians dedicated to achieving a quality education system in Sweden to the national Swedish Parliament, as well as to county councils and municipal assemblies.