Resolution on the situation in Peru
The 5th World Congress of Education International (EI), meeting in Berlin (Germany) 22 to 26 July 2007,
1. It is considered that the government of Peru made the decision to promote the Laws that Regulates the Public Educator functions and working conditions without any dialogue with the education organizations. This law eliminates the labor stability of the educators, negates the current labor rights of educators, eliminating the current agreements of the Law of Teachers and International Agreements signed and ratified by Peruvian Government before OIT and such a law has as a major focus, evaluations that are punitive for educators.
2. During the last month in response to the justified protest of the organized educators represented by SUTEP, the union affiliated to EI, the government conducted a violent physical repression and propaganda, beating, jailing, and denigrating the union members and its leadership.
The World Congress agrees to:
3. Demand to the government of Peru the immediate and total freedom of any person detained, whether they are leadership or teachers.
4. Further, that none of the educators, whether or not detained, be submitted to the judicial process as a result of the charges made against them because they were defending their rights as educators.
5. Request that a suspension of the Law that Regulates the Public Educator, promoted by the Peruvian government, and that an immediate effective dialogue between the government and SUTEP, which is a legitimate representative of educators in Peru. The goal is to find solutions and agreements to the created situation that was taken unilaterally and without consultation by the government.